Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

All About Rocks: Edible Rocks!

I LOVE science because it gives the students a chance to do hands-on activities. 
We just finished up our Rock mini-unit and I wanted to share what we did with you guys. 


We began the mini-unit by defining the different types of rocks. 
Then, for the next three days we made edible rocks.
My kids LOVED it. 
The best part? I really think they learned and know the differences between the rocks now.
I gave them a short assessment to test what they knew yesterday and they all did a great job.

Day 1: 
Metamorphic Rocks - form when rock from inside the earth is heated and squeezed.
Edible Version: Give each student two pieces of unwrapped Starburst candy in a Ziploc bag. Tell the students to use their hands to generate heat and pressure to mold the two pieces of Starburst candy into one new “rock”.

I only remembered to bring my camera on the first day. =(
Here are some of my students showing off their new Metamorphic rocks before they consumed them.  =)

Day 2: 
Igneous Rocks: form when rock from inside the earth cools and hardens
  Edible Version: Show students two different types of chocolate chips. Using a Crockpot to represent deep inside the earth, melt the chocolate chips. After they are melted, spoon out small scoops and place on a plate. Set the plates on student desks and allow them to watch the “rock” cool and harden.

Day 3: 
Sedimentary Rocks: form when bits of sand and stone are cemented together
Edible Version: Spread sugar cookie dough in the bottom of a pan. Tell students that the cookie dough represents sand. Then have children take turns sprinkling chocolate chips, sprinkles, etc. on top of the sand to represent small pieces of rocks and fossils. Bake the cookie/topping mixture to represent the “rock” being cemented together.

On the final day we munched on our edible sedimentary rocks I baked the night before, and I gave them a short little assessment on rocks. They seemed to understand and I really think my students loved making edible rocks. 

Below you will find a link to my TPT store where I posted how to make edible rocks AND the chart I had my kids fill out each day as we learned about each new rock. As we were making each rock I wanted my students to be able to write down the things they were learning. 


As always, I love it when you guys leave me some love! =)
Don't forget to enter my Thirty One giveaway! 
Last day to enter is Friday! 

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I LOVE your activities!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I have some great ideas!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW!! I am so glad I follow your blog. I'm teaching a rock unit in about 3 weeks and was looking for a fun activity to wrap up the unit with. I think it's safe to say that I found it!! Thanks so very much.
    Emily
    circusoflearning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these ideas!!! I don't even teach rocks, but I might just have to add that in so I can do some of these great activities! I know the students will love them! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that sounds like a fun and engaging lesson! I hope to use it some day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used this with my grade 4s a week ago and they are still talking about "the best science class ever!!!" Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way for Cub Scouts to earn their Geology belt loop or their Webelos Geologist activity badge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog and I'm ROCKING in thankfulness! Smiles and stop by anytime!

    ReplyDelete